Heading towards November!
Thanks to the power of our supporters the Renter Protection Act of 2016 is headed to the November 2016 ballot. This means that Oakland voters can establish strong, and lasting, tenant protections that will not be at the mercy of future City Councils. Now our efforts must ramp up so we can spread our message to all Oakland Voters!
The Renter Protection Act of 2016 will:
- Require landlords to petition with the Rent Board for rent increases that exceed the Consumer Price Index.
- Expand Just Cause eviction protections from the current cutoff date of October 1980 to buildings constructed through 1995.
- Expand the duties and powers of the Rent Board and Rent Adjustment Program to increase accountability and effectiveness in implementing tenant protections.In particular, the measure will require the creation of a "searchable data base", which will give tenant advocacy organizations better access to much needed data.
Our efforts could not have been successful without our tremendous community lobbyists who called, emailed and wrote to Oakland City Council Members urging their elected officials to support the Renter Protection Act of 2016. On Tuesday, July 18th, the City Council voted unanimously to place Council Member Rebecca Kaplan's Renter Protection before the voters. After months of negotiations, this Act will also include:
- Require annual notices of allowable rent increases
- Keep the exemption for owner-occupied duplexes and triplexes
We as a Committee have come so far in the past few months, there is still much work to be done to ensure our ballot measure is victorious this November! Oakland tenants and the soul of our City is at stake and we need YOU to lend your time, voice and enthusiasm to our phone banking and canvassing events. Be sure to like us on facebook and twitter to stay up to date.
Thank you to all our supporters who have helped us get to this point, together we can fight to keep Oakland working families, teachers, students and artists in our City.
We are also engaging in a social media campaign to show the Council the depth and breadth of our support. We would like you to download and print this sign or this sign and take a ‘selfie’ of you holding up the sign. Please send us the photo to email@example.com and circulate it on your own Facebook or Instagram page with the hashtag #ProtectOaklandRenters!